Sunday, June 22, 2008
Labrattin' It.
Sometimes times is rough. So when the going gets tough, you do things you love. Lucky for me, I get to do a lot of what I love in the comfort of my own home. Since I have a lot of disparate ideas without any coherent project materializing, I figured I'd just share a few things I've been working. You can stream the tracks below.
Back At It- Wrote this verse back in Ghana as a planned intro to my next solo album. With the musical ADD I've been exhibiting lately, we'll see we'll see if I ever get that far. I came up with these changes a night or two ago so figured I'd rock with 'em for now
505- What started as a jam session back in Philly with me and Like Mindz bassist JD turned into a full fledged, polished track that I've probably mixed down close to a dozen times. I decided to Quincy Jones it up on the producer tip, enlisting JD for bass, Neez for drum programming, Spanky for the organ, and recent New Ro High School grad James Rapp on the guitar. Hopefully we'll get some lyrics on this soon.
Jam #1- A few weekends ago, JD, Neez, and my new collaborator James came through my place and we had an amazing all-day session. I'd say we came out of there with about 5 solid ideas for tracks, some of which I turned into full-fledged songs (see "Purple Drank" later). Neez put on this killer drum loop (with the nod to Dilla on the late 2/4), and JD started out with the changes from the BlackMindz track "Impossible." What we have here is an extended live mix.
Jam #2- Another clip of the day's musings. Please believe there's far more where this came from.
The Shining- After talking with B down in Philly few months back, I started an online forum for a few producers I'm down with in Philly (called the "Dilla Lounge," of course) and it's been a dope experience thus far. Basically, one person in the crew will send out a sample every few weeks and everyone has a little time to flip it in whatever way they see fit. For now, extra sounds and drums are allowed, as long as at least a portion of the original sample is used. It's incredible to hear the skill and variation that comes across in the group, and this was my latest submission that I whipped up real quick this morning.
Scooby Doo, Where Are You?- Spanky sent out this dope sample to the Dilla Lounge group towards the end of the semester, and this was my flip. I'd say it's definitely my strongest contribution to date. Everyone did their thing on this jawn though.
The Last Soul in New York- Longtime collaborator OH Boi and I put this track together early last week. I made the beat over winter break and I'd been dying to turn this intro a track. I'm happy with the final result, and it actually looks like we may have landed a pretty cool opportunity with this track. I'll update on that later if it pans out...
Purple Drank- So I came up with these changes during the jam session here the other week, but wasn't quite sure what drums I wanted to use. Neez played around with a couple ideas but flirted with this minimalist, 80's "Prince-esque" pattern, as I like to call it. After watching the Rave un2 the Year 2000 DVD with pops on Friday, I was in a purple state of mind and made it do what it do.
I Would Die 4 u- More homage to everyone's favorite sexually ambiguous musical icon Jehova's Witness that isn't Micheal Jackson. I'm planning on putting together a cover album, probably with lyrics. (Yes, I was thinking about doing this before I heard about the Zo! & Phonte project...) So far I've got a few that I'm really happy with, and this compilation may be the next release of mine that comes to fruition.
Summer Madness- Another one for the cover album. I went a little wild with the R3 synth on here, but coupled with Reason software's drums and some other sick patches, this is probably my favorite joint on the playlist right now. If you can't wait, here it goes:
Now that I've told you WAY too much about each of these tracks, enjoy, and definitely hit me with feedback if you're feeling what you hear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment